A couple of weeks ago I felt very pleased having just sown 2 trays of one of my favorite summer flowers - Sweet Peas. I put them into small pots - 4 seeds in each, all of which I'd pre-soaked in cold water the night before which really helps with the germination process. I got this advice a few years ago when having difficulty in getting seeds to germinate and it really does help!
Anyway - 2 days later went into the greenhouse to check on them to discover that something had been in and had dug out every last seed... I was gutted..... all the shells had been discarded so the only thing I could think it could have been was mice... well I'm sorry to say that the culprit was caught! So it was back to the drawing board with another sowing - this time I covered the trays with propogating lids just incase there were any other hopeful thieving paws! I'm pleased to say that many of them have started to come through already so here's hoping for a lovely show of Sweet Peas this summer.